Saturday, January 12, 2013

Farm plans for 2013

It seems the last 10 post I've made have started off by apologizing for not posting more often. Again I'm sorry, I'll try my best to keep this updated. As mentioned in the topic, I want to share some of the plans I have for the farm for 2013 in this post. I'm happy to share that we have expanded our acres for 2013 by 30%. With the help of a few friends, I am now working with a few more great landlords. I look forward to working with them, and I appreciate the opportunity they have brought us. I may have brought this up before in a previous post, but as of now we plan to buy a sprayer and do our own herbicide spraying this year. We have had good luck with our CO-OP spraying for us, but the return on investment on a sprayer is just too good to pass up. Being able to spray our fields right when they need it, and the savings of doing it ourselves make this decision an easy one. I have been looking for one for a while, and I plan to have one bought here before too long. I will post a picture on here when I get one bought. In The Shop Winter is defiantly been a slow time for us. We have been working on a few small projects this winter, but nothing too exciting. In late February or early March I will start going over the planter and getting them ready for planting in April. In The Field Since fall we have been working on cutting brush back along field edges. Its a never ending chore, but it needs to be done. In The Office I finished up getting out seed order ready for this year back in December. I had some last minute changes and I decided to dedicate some acres to soybeans. We grew 100% corn in 2012, but on a couple of our rougher fields we are going to plant beans. We will be roughly 80% and 20% soybeans this year. Thanks for reading! Peter Jarzen

No comments:

Post a Comment