I know it has been a long time since I posted on here. It seems like I just keep forgetting to post something. Well I'm posting now, and that's all that matters! :)
Well we finished corn a soybeans a few weeks ago. The corn didn't do all that great, but it did better then I though it would. I don't know what happened. I question if my co-op didn't spray the corn or if the chemicals they used didn't work. I had some really weedy corn this year. Some areas were better then others, but I found 20 acres that was so weedy, I couldn't even see the snoots on my corn head. I do feel blessed though. For how dry and hot of a summer we had, I sill was able to pay down on my bills. My soybeans did really well this year. I had 5 variates in my bean plot, I don't think I had a number do less then 65. My highest was Channel 3701 and it made 70.7! From this wet spring I was really able to see where I need to put some tile in on my new farm where I put up the shop. My total yield was less then any of my numbers, but not much. Had that farm been tiled, it should have been over 65.
Since my last post, obviously Morton finished my shed. I got everything moved in over the summer. I ran electricity, but that it. I hope that next summer I can pour concrete in a 1/3 of it for a shop. That would sure be nicer then working on the gravel all the time. I do appreciate having gravel, it is a lot better then just working on dirt! I don't know if I will ever get around to it next year, but I would like to run water to the shed. I bought a sprayer over the summer, and it would be convenient to just fill it up at the shop and go spray. The sprayer I bought is a 220 spa-coup. It needs some work, but I got it cheap enough that I can afford to put some time and money in it and get a nice sprayer.
Right now I have been getting everything put up in the shed for the winter. I have also been shredding around the edge of my fields, trying to get it all cleaned up. After I get done shredding, I will keep working on cutting back the overgrown timber from the edge of the field. You can tell the farm had been neglected until I got it. It takes a lot of time, but I bet all the way around the field I can easily cut back 10' of over grown timer from the field. This will let me plant that much more, and hopefully have less shade and root pressure on my crops. I have been saving all the wood that I can when I cut back the trees, I hope that by next year I can sell it to people for fire wood because I will have a ton of it!
Well that's it for now, I will try to get a post on here soon with some pics from this years harvest.
Thanks for reading!